What is Nipah Virus?
As per World Health Organisation(WHO). Nipah Virus is newly emerging Zoonosis that causes several diseases in both Humans and animals. This virus was first identified in Malaysia in 1998.Where Pigs were the intermediate host. In 2004 humans were infected by this Nipah virus in Bangladesh. Nipah virus is also known as Humans became infected with NiV as a result of consuming Date palm Sap that had contaminated by infected Fruit bats. From there Human to human transmission also been registered in some cases.
As per WHO this NiV has no vaccine for humans and also Animals. The primary treatment for human cases intensive support case.At present in Kerala NiV is ringing its emerging bells by affecting more that 50 people in which 11 people are already Dead.
Symptoms of Nipah Virus
- Some may show symptoms of epilepsy.
- Symptoms may last for 10-12 days.
- Then the infected may fall unconscious.
- Death may happen as brain fever develops at the final stage.
How Does NiV spread
- From Fruit bats to animals through bites.
- From animal to other animals through fruits.
- Spread From bats to humans if one takes fruits bitten by bats.
- From Human to Human through body fluids.
- Do not eat fruits bitten by birds and animals.
- Do not drink toddy collected from areas where bats are found in large numbers.
- Cleaning yourself after contacting infected people.